We are seeking an Electrical Engineer with 5-10 years of experience in the field of oceanographic vehicle and instrumentation design and operations. This is a contract position. The candidate should have a B.S. degree in Electrical Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Control Engineering, Instrumentation, Mechatronics, Physics, or equivalent field of study. Preferred candidates will hold a M.S. degree in a relevant engineering program. This person should be able to demonstrate experience working on projects within the subsea industry, both in an engineering capacity as well as an operations role on a seagoing vessel. The candidate should have a balanced capability as a design-oriented engineer as well as possess hands-on experience in the lab and at sea. When ashore, the desk-bound engineering and documentation portion of the position will be balanced by ample time in the shop assembling, testing, and maintaining equipment. The candidate will be expected to travel approximately three months per year, most of that time offshore on an oceanographic research vessel conducting ROV and/or AUV operations.
Engineering and Design Capabilities
- Exquisite attention to detail
- Subsea design of ROV and AUV systems
- System level thinking, integrating hardware and software appropriately.
- Electrical power budget analysis.
- Three-Phase power system design and analysis.
- High Voltage power system design and analysis, 5 KVAC and below
- “Ground Fault” detection systems, theory and practice
- BLDC motor control, sensored and sensorless
- Data & Control telemetry, Serial, Ethernet, Fiberoptic, CAN
- Single Mode CWDM Fiberoptic systems
- Electrical Schematic Database development and review
- Specification and Test Plan development
- Interfacing with vendors and consultants
- Mentoring junior team members
- Test supervision
- Maintaining organized documentation
Operations and Hands-On Capabilities
- Travel and work off-shore approximately 3 months per year
- Understanding of ROV and/or AUV operations on a sea-going vessel
- Experience going to sea in an operations and possibly in a supervisory role
- Preference will be given to candidates with ROV Piloting experience
- Preference will be given to candidates with experience maintaining electric propulsion ROVs
- Knowledge of ancillary shipboard equipment: cranes, winches, umbilicals, rigging
- Familiarity with shipboard power systems
- Ability to troubleshoot complex systems
- Experience with an array of test equipment; Oscilloscopes, Protocol Analyzers, Logic Analyzers, Logging Multimeter, Optical Power Meter
- Cadence / OrCAD Schematic Capture
- SPICE Simulation
- Microsoft Word and Excel
- Google Docs
- Basic understanding of computer networks and ability to interface with remote colleagues via computer connectivity
- Knowledge of navigation software, Hypack, preferred
- Computer programming skills not required, but desired: Python, Visual Basic, C++
North Kingstown, RI area. Ability to travel and spend up to 3-months per year offshore on an oceanographic research vessel.
Commensurate with experience
Engineering: 5-10 years
Required license or certification
Professional Engineering (PE) License preferred
Bachelor’s, engineering in a relevant field. Master’s in a relevant engineering program preferred
Please send CV and a cover letter to email@example.com indicating your willingness to work at sea for up to 3 months/year, and why you are interested in working for the Global Foundation for Ocean Exploration.