Does the idea of exploring the world’s ocean using a custom 4.5-ton robot sound appealing? We’re looking for a top-performing Systems Administrator to work with our young, professional, and highly-skilled team. This is a contract position. The Global Foundation for Ocean Exploration is a 501c (3) non-profit organization dedicated to empowering the global underwater science community with the tools and expertise required to explore the greatest depths of the planet’s largest and deepest bodies of water. We lead the deep submergence engineering activities for NOAA’s Office of Ocean Exploration and Research, and implement our own exciting projects.
What you’ll do
Provide system administration leadership as part of a diverse engineering team focused on ocean exploration. Help support custom scientific data acquisition and management software as part of an experienced software team.
– help support approximately 50 hosts (Win7, Win2012r2, Ubuntu 14.04 and OSX) across a handful of sites
– participate in the design, commissioning and support of remote sites
– maintain Microsoft Active Directory / DNS
– troubleshoot host and network service issues
– host based security
– event monitoring / alerting
– configuration management
– train junior personnel
– bachelors degree in related field
– at least 2 years professional experience
– Microsoft specific certifications / experience desired
– some travel required
– storage administration (NAS and/or SAN) desired
– vmware experience desired
– web development skills desired
Work at Sea
Must be willing and physically able to spend up to 3 non-consecutive months per year at sea.
Commensurate with experience
Please send CV and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating your willingness to work at sea for up to 3 months/year, and why you are interested in working for the Global Foundation for Ocean Exploration.